In this episode, Shannon Shorr, a professional poker player with over $8 million in earnings, tells the story of how he started playing poker as a small-town kid in Kentucky. He shares the journey from playing underground and online games to travelling internationally for massive tournaments – and reveals an interesting strategy that worked at his first big game. Shannon also explains how practicing mindfulness, meditation, and yoga has revolutionized the way he sees the world. Tune in to learn some tips for staying focused, boosting productivity, and continuing your personal growth through poker.
Visit Jeff Gross - The Flow Show or find us on iTunes to subscribe, visit previous episodes, and learn more about your host, Jeff Gross.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:00 – 13:30 – Shannon’s personal and professional journey.
- 13:30 – 32:00 - On handling downswings, practicing mindfulness and getting results.
- 32:00 – 46:30 - The downsides of poker, importance of having a crew, and state of poker.
- 46:30 – 01:01:30 - On his love for the outdoors, productivity, and thoughts on digital.
- 01:01:30 – 01:08:00 - On living in Vegas and how he has evolved over the course of his career.
- 01:08:00 – 01:28:00 - Shannon’s new car, 2020 goals, thoughts on crypto, and poker reflections.
- 01:28:00 – 01:39:00 - On sports, studying, being an “old timer” and the novelty in poker.
3 Key Points
- Poker provides the opportunity to grow personally.
- Mindfulness and meditation can improve your game and reduce tilts.
- Reducing your use of technology can boost productivity and keep you focused.
- Partner - Party Poker
- Website - Jeff Gross Poker
- Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport
- Shannon’s Twitter